On August 23rd and 24th, I participated in the X45 Challenge 2014, held in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Together with Soon and Greg, we were Team Musang Kings! Yes, named after the infamous durian. Initially, I had volunteered my services to Coach the team at the competition. Unfortunately, an athlete had to pull out due to an injury, and the team asked if I was interested to join them. And I am glad I had them as my team mates!
Team Musang Kings finished 9th overall in the Team category.
The PushMore Team had 3 podium finishes:
- Hedzri PJ – 1st in Men’s Scaled
- Team Monstas (Dun Yu, Emily & Tim) – 2nd in Team Category
- Carmen Ng – 3rd in Women’s Scaled (Clean & Jerk PR!)
3 things that were a reminder to me after observations throughout this competition:
- You are READY to compete. There’s never a “not ready” once you are on the competition floor. Set your mind, strategize and execute. And..it’s doesn’t help if someone asks, “Are you ready?”
- Be OVERLY prepared. Bring more clothing, fuel bars, finger tape, personal foam roller… Avoid last minute panic attacks that make you regret not bringing it due to space saving moves or because you can “just borrow” from someone else.
- Support your team mates when they are competing. Unless you are warming up for your event or need to recover from your previous one, be there on the supporters’ ground with them. Let them hear you. Give them the support that they need, be it a fist bump or even a yell from afar! Trust me, this gives the athlete confidence and feels not alone in this competition.
Well, that’s it for now! It’s time to get back to training. I’ve laid down my plans for the next 6 months. I can’t wait to see what happens then!